The Pulse of the Pen

June 5, 2014

Conquering the West# 2

Filed under: Uncategorized — russstevs @ 9:15 pm

Sorry for the blue text and horrible formatting I tried to fix it but I cant

This blog post is an update of Conquering the West #1. I have updated it by taking out some of my key terms, updating other key terms, and then adding more important key terms that add to the theme of people, places, and power. I have also added on more enduring understanding and added to my other two enduring understandings. I was able to update my enduring understanding and key terms because of how I deepened my understanding. To deepen my understanding and help me update my blog post I did an interactive activity for my topic of Native Americans and the West. The interactive activity helped me  to understand what happened to the Native Americans especially what they had to go through during “The Long Walk”. Overall the interactive activity was very informative the only thing that did not help me was that one of the links did not work. Other than that it was a very insightful interactive activity that helped deepen my understanding.

Link to Interactive Activity

Key Terms

Push Pull Factors- events and conditions that either force people to move elsewhere or strongly attract them to do so.
Pacific Railway Acts- the government gave land grants to the Union Pacific and Central Pacific railroads.
Morrill Land Grant- An act that gave state governments millions of acres of western land which the states could sell to raise money to create agricultural and mechanical arts colleges.
Land Speculations- people who bought up large areas of land in the hope of selling it later for profit.
Homestead Act- An act signed by Lincoln that made it so for a small fee settlers could have 160 acres of land if they met certain conditions.
Settlers- new groups of settlers joined the whites such as: Europeans, Germans, Scandanavians, Irish, Lutherans, Italians, European Jews, Mexicans, and Chinese.
Benjamin Singleton- led southern blacks on a mass exodus over 50000 blacks traveled west.
Exodusters- the southern blacks who moved west with Benjamin Singleton.
The Indian Problem- what could and should be done with western Indians so that their lands could be used productively.
Great Plains- the vast Grassland between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains.
Nomads- people who travel from place to place usually following available food sources.
Reservations- federal land set aside for the nomads
General Custer- a general who was sent to round up the Sioux and failed but then at the battle of little big horn died in his last stand.
Battle of little big horn- “Custers Last stand” fought the Sioux back to the reservation killed some and sent others running to Canada.
Massacre at Wounded Creek- when a soldier fired a shot and then set a chain reaction off having soldiers open fire and kill more than 200 Sioux.
Assimilation- the process by which one society becomes a part of another, more dominant society by adopting its culture.
Bloomers- Western Settlers
Navajos- Largest Native American group in America.
Kit Carson- Was a General during the Civil war who was the reason for the death of thousand of Indians and “The Long Walk”.
The Long Walk- Was the walk where 8,500 Navajos and 500 Mescalero Apaches had to take to go to the Bosque Redondo reservation. Many died of thirst and starvation as well as exhaustion.
Enduring Understandings
1.Places themselves can often push or pull people: but choices of movement are often limited to those by power.
- The government gave large land grants over 175 million acres of public land to railroads in the pacific railway acts to have them create more desirable land this was a way for the government to pull settlers towards the west. (Prentice Hall 489)
- To further entice people to go settle in the west; the government was giving out free land to anybody willing to settle in the west and work the land for 5 years. This was another pull factor of the government.  (Prentice Hall 490)
2.Power itself can  give places to the less powerful but then takes it back for the resources the paces holds.
- In 1887 the government had the Dawes act which divided native Americans reservation land into individual plots. Instead of roaming freely as nomads do they were restrained more from the west to reservations and now to only 160 acre plot. This is the government taking away land from Indians that was rightfully theirs.
( Prentice hall 496)
- Sioux land protected by the treaty of 1868 included the black hills. But in 1874 the government sent general Custer to investigate gold in the black hills. He said there was gold from the grass roots down. This news was the starting gun in a mining race for that region and who was there the Sioux who were fought out by the government. ( Prentice hall 494)
-  In 1863 there was a large enough military force available to deal with the “Indian problem” . It was decided that these problematic Indians would be brought to a spot far away from the populated areas of the Territory to Bosque Redondo . There they could be taught to farm and learn the ways of the white man so they would stop their raiding and settle down. (http://www.nmmonuments.org/bosque-redondo/history)
3.When the power pushed people to new places they did not know the impacts the push would have on them.
-   ”Long Walk,” was Navajos and Mescalero Apaches were forced to walk a distance of more than 350 miles to the reservation in east central New Mexico. It was an arduous journey that saw them travel 12-15 miles a day many died of thirst, starvation, and exhaustion.( New Mexico History)
- Bosque Redondo was virtually a prison for the Navajos and Mescalero Apaches. The brackish water cause severe internal problems and disease was spreading rapidly. Armyworm destroyed the Corn the Indians planted and the wood supply at Bosque Redondo was soon depleted. Navajos had to stay in this horrible place for nearly 4 + years while most of the Mescalero Apaches ran away one night. (Smithsonian)
Reflection: To experience westward settlement of America as a Navajo Indian would be unbearable. Everyday they would wake up not knowing what was going to happen but knowing something is coming to take their land. They would live in fear, fear of being confined to a reservation and when they are confined to a reservation they would not be able to go anywhere else. Then one day an army of men would come and fight their tribe until they have surrendered and then the trouble would have just begun.(Kit Carson) They would be made to walk over 300 miles to a reservation. During this trip there would be scare food and water. They could take any of four paths. (“The Long Walk” picture) People would be fighting to stay up and live everyday and if they don’t who’s to say disease won’t get them. (New Mexico History) After surviving the journey they then would have to live in the reservation for four years. The reservation would be  a horrid pace to live avoiding disease and internal problems from the brackish water. Having little or no crop to sell because armyworm had destroyed all the corn and no wood supply left because it was depleted quickly.(Smithsonian) But then one day all would be over and they would travel back home and stay there and live by the rules of the Treaty of 1868.(Treaty of 1868)

No Comments»

RSS feed for comments on this post.  TrackBack URI